To gather email addresses you need to offer something in exchange; a lead magnet. It follows that this should be something of value. There is a wide range of options available. We will review options that any one can put together with a little ingenuity and industriousness. So get ready to create your lead magnet, explode your mailing list and increase your profits.
A Few Common Lead Magnet Choices.
Charlie Page suggests the following choices:
- A PDF download
- A resource guide
- Free access to a webinar
- A video teaching series
- Personal consultation
- Discounts on your product
- Personal consulting via email
For further reading on choices the following article provides in depth discussion and suggestions: http://www.digitalmarketer.com/lead-magnet-ideas-funnel/
- Guide / Report Reports and guides are among the most common types of Lead Magnets.
- Cheat Sheet / Hand Out. Cheat sheets and handouts work well. They are generally very short (one page or so) and cut straight to an ultra-specific point. You can deliver these as checklists, mind maps or “blueprints
- Toolkit / Resource List A toolkit or resource list can make a great Lead Magnet for the right business and market.
- Video Training If it makes sense, and you have the skillset, video can be a very effective way to deliver on your inducement.
- Software Download / Free Trial Software companies often offer a free trial of their software as a Lead Magnet.
- Discount / Free Shopping For those selling physical products on or off-line, discount clubs or free shipping offers can be an effective inducement type.
- Quiz / Survey A quiz or survey, the results of which are delivered via email, can be a very engaging way to generate new leads. You can use a quiz building tool like Interact to create these quizzes.
- Assessment / Test An assessment or test, particularly if it is delivered online to increase the speed of consumption and gratification, can make a powerful option.
Features Of A Good Lead Magnet
Charlie Page says:
1 – A great lead magnet is sticky. By “sticky” I mean this – you want something that your new subscriber will look at and keep looking at. This is why a resource guide works so well.
2 – A great lead magnet solves a problem. Your subscribers have problems and want solutions. If they did not, they would not subscribe. Help them solve those problems and you will gain a customer and a friend.
3 – A great lead magnet provides results in advance. If your inducement can help your subscriber take an action that partially solves their problem you will have found a winner. 4 – A great lead magnet positions you properly. A great inducement will make you look like an authority in your field and positions you properly.You can achieve this by curating content from leaders in your field.
5 – A great lead magnet provides instant access. The very best lead magnets today are PDF files (old school) and provides instant access to a webinar replay (new school).
6 – A great lead magnet is shareable. You want people to share your inducement. More importantly, it is important to realize they will share it whether you want them to or not. With a PDF make the second page your “branding” page. Say something like “this report brought to you by” and then list your site and the top three benefits to doing business with you. Then put a big old link in there.
Lead Magnet Conclusion
To gather email addresses it is necessary to offer an inducement. This can be achieved by using what is referred to as a lead magnet. There are many options for lead magnet creation as detailed above. Ingenuity and industriousness will enable you to create traffic sucking inducements.